I survived my first week of high school for the last time in my life!
The first week of my senior year that is! Seriously this week went by super slowly, but it was worth it. Hopefully this upcoming week will go by faster. Okay so this year I had pretty much almost all the same teachers except my Science teacher and my English teacher. Here's a list of my schedule and a brief overview of what's been going on.
- 1st period: AP Government/CP Economics. The only AP class on my schedule and according to my teacher, Mr. Moreno who I had my freshman year, the class will be treated as a CP Economics class first before becoming an AP class. So right now we're studying economics. There's a toooooooonnnnnn of vocabulary words, not to mention there's graphing, equations, etc. But they seem easy. We also have been taking a Naturalization test. That's right a 135 question test about our country. All it takes is a 60% to pass the test, and at first I thought I would fail, but now it seems that I'm actually going to pass. Yay! So Dad can't really make up any jokes about deporting me, since I'm going to pass and all.
- 2nd period: Concert Choir. Yep, it's good ole choir again for the last time. It seems to take forever to get choir starting, meaning that it takes forever for us to start learning the songs, get the calendar for all the special choir events, and even get the folders for our music. It's the 30th anniversary of the "Knight Magic" concert and all the songs that we'll be singing have been sung before. So far I'm not impressed by the choices of songs that Ms. Vlach has picked out.
- 3rd period: Anatomy & Physiology. Originally I had picked this class because I needed to take a science class to fulfill the graduation requirement, yet I wanted to take an easy science class and this seemed to be the best choice. Boy was I wrong about that! It's a relatively easy class, but there's a ton of busy work and coloring. I think that our textbook is nasty since there's a lot of nude people in it. Mom had to straighten me out about that too, meaning that she said that it was okay to do that if you are observing the human body for medical purposes. Even with that being said I still think looking at naked people is pretty gross.
- 4th period: Finite Math. [Insert dark/evil/dramatic intro music] Last year I dropped out of Pre-Calculus and took a cooking class. Because I did that I have to take a math class this year, which means I can't back out this time. This definitely looks to be my hardest class: Not only because it's my least favorite subject/subject that I have to work hardest at, but because it's right before lunch means that it will be longer than most classes, and it's when I'm hungriest! This means that my blood sugar will be lowest and my attention span the shortest. Still I am taking measures to prevent this, which have had some success.
- 5th period/Lunch: Knights choir. Knights choir, for those that don't know, is an all men's/male choir that rehearses during lunch. It's usually the craziest choir, compliments of the phenomenal dancing sensation known respectively as the Boothe Brothers, and whenever Knights choir sings its' songs there is some thunderous applause, partly because it is the only time that Ms. Vlach allows the audience to do such things and the other part is the craziness which I, in behalf of our family, heavily contribute to. Anyway, there seems to be a lot of guys in Knights choir, more than last year's choir in fact, and bytheway we'll be singing "Grease Lightning" from Grease.
- 6th period: Spanish 2. I get one more year with the hilarious guitar playing, conservative teacher known as Mr. Lamont. I had him last year for Spanish 1 and I thoroughly enjoyed his class. For those that don't know Mr. Lamont served on the high council with Grandpa Boothe, which automatically makes him one of my most favorite teachers. In addition to all of that he's conservative, the only teacher on the campus practically speaking, and I'm one of his favorite students, at least he seems to give that impression. We're using the same textbook this year as we did last year. Oh and bytheway as an interesting little fact we start each class by copying down a quote from somebody important, in English of course, and we say the pledge of allegiance in Spanish.
- 7th period: English. My English teacher is a zealot environmentalist, that's what he actually called himself. He's the head of the environmental club in our school and he literally has 3 different recycling bins in his classroom for different things. A friend of mine had him last year and he said that he got yelled at for throwing a piece of paper in the "wrong garbage can". Despite the fact that this guy's a literal hippie he is extremely well spoken and he's both a Lord of the Rings and Star Trek aficionado. I could care less about Star Trek (sorry Ryan) but the simple fact that he's a Lord of the Rings aficionado, like me, makes him pretty cool. Plus I'm excited to learn about the development of the English language, something of which I feel very knowledgeable being both a Tolkien fan and an avid "student" and brother of Ryan.
Speaking of water polo our first game was on Thursday, our pre-season game against Sonora. Here are the following scores for each of the teams:
Frosh/Soph: 12-3; They lost
Varsity Girls: 22-4; They lost
Varsity Guys: 21-11; We lost
It's ironic that our least experienced team, the Frosh/Soph guys, lost by the least amount of points, which was 9 points. The reason why Sonora won by such ginormous margins is because they have a year round program which keeps their players buff and in shape.
Actually there's another thing I forgot to mention: Senior Sunrise. Senior Sunrise is an activity when all seniors get to wake up early, sit in the bleachers, and "watch the sun rise". It was fun being with all of my friends and I'm glad I went. Plus there was a ton of free Cosco muffins, YUM!
Well that's the first week of my senior year. I love you all and hope to see you all soon.
Love,
Grant.

3 Comments:
Grant,
You are a Mexican. We've never told you this, but now you know.
I hope you pass the test and get to stay here in the country. If you fail, perhaps Uncle Jim will be able to help you.
Dad
Even though it was a minor rough start things are swimming along now and I think you're going to have one of your best years ever!
Waterpolo season looks like it will be a blast. Go Knights!!!!
Love ya tons,
Mom
School is usually what you make it. I hope that you have a great senior year.
Post a Comment
<< Home