Welcome to the Boothe's Dominion

A blog that you comment on, make literary comments, post cool/funny things or if you just want to say hi.

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Another school post

Sorry, I still have difficulty with motivation, yet here I am writing to you all about my life.
Just yesterday I had the fever, so I basically just slept and did homework. That was not fun. Now I'm completely better and I am thankful that Mom and Dad are knowledgeable about health and nutrition. However, I would appreciate your prayers that I will be able to keep up my strength and that I will stay helathy.
As far as school goes I am happy to report that I have an A in Chemistry, and an A in A.P U.S History. I also have a solid B in my English class, but I intend to change that. I have an A+ in Spanish, a whopping 102.1%. (I'll explain how I got that later.) Unfortunately I have a D in Pre-Calculus, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut my teacher, Mrs. Davalos, let us (when I say us I am implying any student who wishes to retake the test) retake a 200 point test, which I did, and I'm hoping that I got a good score because according to Mrs. Davalos whichever score is higher is the score we as the student gets to keep. Another reason why is because I don't want to drop the class, and the reason why I don't want to drop the class is because I have a rigid schedule and I also don't want to lose out on Concert Chior, which is important because I like the Downey Chiors, a lot of my friends are in it.
Now as to the 102.1% in Spanish, right now there are only two things that have determined our grade in Spanish: Extra credit from Back-to-School night and a collection of every assignment and test we've ever done in class. (Back-to-school night is basically where the parents go through all of their kids' classes and meet all of the kids' teachers. That's for those who didn't know.) So it's thanks to Mom who went to Back-to-School night that I have 102.1%. While we're on the subject of Spanish on Friday we got to sing the Spanish version of John Jacob Jingle Heimerschimdt and Bingo. (The Spanish version of John Jacob Jingle Heimerschimdt is Juan Paco Pedro De La Marr) I thought it was cool and I'm looking forward to singing Christmas carols in Spanish.
And now is the Downey Water Polo seasonal update. Our league record is 2-2. Our second league game was against Davis, in the which we beat them 28-11 which is a really high scoring game in Water Polo. I scored two of those goals. Our first game was against Enochs, the newest high school in our league, this is the second year that it has been built. Since their program is relatively new it can naturally be expected that they are going to be pretty bad at Water Polo. The score was 17-4, again I scored two goals. Those two games took place last week though. Our first game this week was against Johansen in the which we lost 16-5. As a bit of background information Johansen is the best team in our league, and by far the dirtest. Our next game after that was against Oakdale in which we lost 9-8. Coach Vesey said that he was pretty disappointed with us.
And now this is the discussion part of the post. My last post mentioned the question: To what extent should religion influence politics? Well I had this discussion with Mom and she and I came up with the same idea that religion influences the politicians and how they act, so relgiin, or the lack thereof, already in that respect influences politics. There are two examples, that come to my mind, where religion and politics were intertwined. The first example was the medieval Catholic Church, the second example was the Puritan church. Both examples show us that there ought to be a separation of church and state because both churches got corrupt, (the Puritans weren't all bad, but still there was the Salem witch trials). So I definitely believe in the separation of church and state, but that does not mean drive religion out, I believe that religion ought to influence people's beliefs and standards and when it comes to moral issues like abortion and homosexuality, then religion should influence politics. At least that's the conclusion I've come up with.
Well I love you all and continue to pray for your success,
Grant

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, Grant! I'm proud of your hard work. You're off to a great start this year!

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've turned into a dedicated student and I'm proud of your diligence in study.

You're also an awesome Seminary student and on time 98% of the time. Kudos to you!

8:14 PM  
Blogger Ryan and Becca said...

I'm proud of your hard work as well Grant. Junior year is very important and you're doing well. Keep your eye on the prize and continue to study up and do well on those nasty tests.

Regarding your religion/politics question: I believe that we, as Americans, should elect men with honest and good values. I like that Pres. Bush consults with so many religious leaders. I am, however, very against any formal or legal relationship with the state and any religion.

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good to hear what's going on in your life. We really liked the photos your Dad sent of your water polo game. Congratulations on your hard work and successes.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home